Gamma Knife Post Operative Instructions
Although recovery from a gamma knife procedure is relatively quick and pain-free, you can make your recovery go smoothly by following these instructions.
If you have any questions after your procedure, do not hesitate to contact your neurosurgeon at any time.
- You may remove the Band-Aids the day after your procedure.
- You may gently wash your hair the day after your procedure.
- Avoid hairspray, mousse, gels, hair color, permanents or anything else that might cause irritation until the pin sites have completely healed.
- The pin sites should heal in 7 to 10 days.
- You may experience temporary tingling or numbness around the pin sites.
- Swelling above or around your eyes may occur within 48 hours of surgery, this is normal.
- You may apply a cool compress to the swollen area.
- Swelling should decrease in 3 to 4 days.
- You may resume your routine activities within 48 hours if you feel well (unless your doctor has instructed you otherwise).
- You may resume your regular diet.
- You may resume your routine medications.