For consults, and to learn more about gamma knife technology and West Houston Neuroscience Services, call 281-584-7400.
The Gamma Knife provides an extraordinary alternative to invasive brain surgery. In many cases, it offers lifesaving treatment for conditions once considered untreatable.
A gamma knife is actually not a knife, but a precise surgical tool that directs beams of radiation into the brain. Since there is no incision, a gamma knife reduces damage to surrounding healthy brain tissue and also allows for a quicker, less painful recovery. Other advantages include:
- Increased accuracy, safety and reliability.
- Low risk of post-operative complications.
- No general anesthesia needed.
- Done as an outpatient procedure.
- Most patients can resume normal activities in 24 to 48 hours.
In use for more 40 years, the Gamma Knife treats a wide range of neurological disorders, such as:
- Metastatic tumors (tumors that have spread to the brain from cancers in other parts of the body)
- Benign brain tumors (acoustic neuromas, meningiomas and pituitary)
- Some malignant brain tumors (those originating in the brain)
- Trigeminal neuralgia (facial pain)
- Arteriovenous malformations (AVMs)
- Inoperable brain abnormalities
Learn more about: